What to do when your phone gets wet

So did your clumsy friend knock a glass of water onto your smartphone? Did you immerse your trousers in water without remembering that your phone is in the pocket? Well, here is what you should do in such circumstances.

Phones are an essential part of our daily life. From keeping in touch with friends and families to hours of entertainment, we cannot do without phones. Moisture damages phone easily and therefore it is vital to know what to do when your phone gets wet.

Remove from water and switch off

The first step is removing your phone out of the water and switching it off as soon as possible. This process ensures less damage to the inner components of your phone. If it is connected to the charge, it is advisable to switch off the main before taking the phone out of the water to avoid electrocution.

Disassemble the battery and all peripheral devices

Phones have some pore which can allow free water flow and hence the first step may not work. Therefore, the second step is removing the battery to avoid short-circuiting. Also, you should remove all other peripheral components, e.g., memory card and sim card to protect them from any damage.

Wipe your phone using a soft cloth

After the disassembly, wipe your phone using a soft towel to eradicate any reachable moisture. Avoid shaking the phone as this may drive water to the inner parts.

Use a vacuum cleaner

A vacuum cleaner is effective in pulling the moisture out of the affected components of your phone. Avoid holding the vacuum cleaner too close to the phone as this may damage the phone further.

Use water affinity substances

If there is still water in the inner parts of your phone, it is advisable to use materials that have high water affinity. These include uncooked rice, silica gel, and desiccants. Leaving your phone in these substances overnight helps absorb any remaining moisture. Also, you can place your phone in a sunny spot for proper drying.

Take your phone to an authorized repairer

After all the above steps, connect your phone to the charge and try to switch it on. If it is still not working, it is time to see a specialized professional.

Note: You should never use a hairdryer as this may driver moisture to other components that have not yet been touched by water. Do not freeze your phone as this would also condense the LCD liquid. Lastly, do not disassemble your phone as this would result in shock or exposure to dangerous chemicals. Instead, take it to a specialized profession.

Author: bedwards786

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *